LynneStringer

My Journey in Writing

SPOILER ALERT!
Bluewing - Kate Avery Ellison

** spoiler alert ** I considered giving this book a lower rating, but the story was sound at least, and moved forward logically and was generally well written and interesting, so I felt it deserved kudos for that, at least.
However, there were a few elements in particular that really bothered me. I get the feeling the climax was supposed to be a big surprise. It wasn't to me; I figured out it was going to go that way when Ivy tried to convince Lia that they could make friends with the Watchers. So their involvement was expected.
The next thing that really bothered me was the reappearance of the love triangle in a major way. Nothing irks me more than a heroine who makes protestations of love to two men almost simultaneously. Yes, they are both men with good and bad points, but please, can we have a clear tendency one way and leave it at that for good?
But the main thing I had problems with was the use of shock tactics. Sure, why not have someone declare their feelings in a way that's going to bring happiness to a pitiable character and then kill that person off? Bring happiness only to shatter it almost instantaneously. Not only that, I didn't think it was done convincingly. I find it hard to believe that any long term resident of the Frost conveniently forgets to have snow blossoms on them just at the particular time they're going to meet a Watcher that kills them. Fancy that. Basing a callous death on an unlikely coincidence does not make for a convincing plot development. It reminded me of the many frustrations I experienced when reading the poorly written Allegiant, which swore me off the Divergent trilogy entirely. These developments in Bluewing may be the end of my interest in the Frost Chronicles, because I don't want to become emotionally involved in something if this is the kind of development I can expect in the future.