LynneStringer

My Journey in Writing

Austenland - Shannon Hale

Having seen the movie first, I felt I was at an advantage, as I knew where the story was going; more or less, anyway. And interestingly enough, I think I prefer the movie version to the book. That doesn't happen often. It doesn't mean I didn't enjoy the book - the four star rating attests to that - but I think some of the changes they put in the movie made the story flow more effectively.
That was only a minor thing, of course. I enjoyed Shannon Hale's style and the breezy way she wrote the hapless Jane, with whose obsession for Colin Firth's Mr Darcy I can surely relate. I liked experiencing her struggles to ditch the fantasy and try and find a real man, although I'm not sure the details of previous boyfriends, which started every chapter, were really necessary. Apart from that, though, it was thoroughly entertaining.