LynneStringer

My Journey in Writing

The Man the Anzacs Revered: William "Fighting Mac" McKenzie, Anzac Chaplain - Daniel Reynaud, Michael McKernan

This biography on Fighting Mac, the legendary Salvation Army chaplain who worked with the ANZACs in World War I, was a little slow at the start. It did a lot of scene setting; perhaps a little more than was necessary. However, it soon settled into a nice rhythm and was enjoyable and well researched. It differentiated between those stories about Fighting Mac for which there was reliable evidence and those that had clearly been embroidered for greater effect. It was gripping, particularly in the accounts of the battles, and well worth reading, especially as we come up to the 100th anniversary of the Gallipoli landing which introduced the ANZAC legend.