LynneStringer

My Journey in Writing

TimeRiders - Alex Scarrow

The premise of Timeriders intrigued me. I enjoy a book that journeys through time with people fixing up problems. However, I found the way this book was written frustrating, especially in the first few chapters. I didn't enjoy the way it jumped around between time zones every chapter, especially since the stories that were being told in each chapter at that stage were vastly different with no clear connection. It meant that momentum would be built in one chapter, only to have it screech to halt when the next chapter started and we were moved to a different location with completely different characters. This was especially frustrating considering all the world building that was going on and how much there was to take in. The plot of the book didn't really get going until more than a quarter of the way through it.
After that, the story moved along more coherently and I was interested in seeing where it went. I found the resolution satisfying, but the journey at times was so slow it was difficult to keep my head in the book.