LynneStringer

My Journey in Writing

Color of Magic - Terry Pratchett

I struggled with what to rate this book, because although I acknowledge the writing was brilliant, I still found it difficult to stay engaged in the story, even after I'd discarded any expectation of it following the 'rules' of writing in modern novels.
It was certainly funny and satirical, bringing Hitchhikers' Guide to mind many times, and I enjoyed seeing what bizarre happenings could next occur to the cowardly Rincewind and his fearlessly stupid companion, Twoflower. But I think it was a trifle too detailed for my tastes; sometimes I found the story lagging and I began to scan - not a great idea in a satirical novel, especially one that is constantly changing direction, as this one did. Maybe it's just a question of getting used to Terry Pratchett's style.