LynneStringer

My Journey in Writing

SPOILER ALERT!
Frenchman's Creek - Daphne du Maurier

Daphne du Maurier was certainly an author who liked to challenge conventions. She did so in her most famous novel, Rebecca, and she does so again here.
Frenchman's Creek tells the tale of the Lady Dona St Columb, a spoiled darling of London who decided to leave her husband simply because he is a fool and she is bored, and take their two children and stay in his home on the Cornish coast. Dona is the kind of character who I'd probably want to slap in real life, but owing to du Maurier's skillful writing, I began to emphathise with her, even though her behaviour is often little more than that of a spoiled brat.
Having unceremoniously left her husband, she discovers a French pirate who shelters his ship in a creek not far from her home. This man is far more refined and cultured and intelligent than any man she has left behind in London. He is written in a sympathetic light, being more of a Robin Hood type than a blackguard and a murderer, again, leading the reader to view him as the hero he is intended to be. Dona begins a torrid affair with him. If this was a Mills and Boon novel there would have likely been nothing left to the imagination in their relationship, but being Daphne du Maurier, the reader is left to largely read between the lines.
Having been convinced, via skillful writing, to like characters I normally wouldn't like, unfortunately, du Maurier did earn my disapproval with her ending. I'd forgotten she tends to make them vague, and that is the case with this one. I really wanted a definite word on how it resolved and didn't get it. Never mind. I still enjoyed the read immensely.