LynneStringer

My Journey in Writing

The Crystal Heart - Sophie Masson

Right from the start of this book I felt there was something missing, even though I liked Kasper and Izolda as characters.
However, I found a number of the plot developments unconvincing. Kasper saves a prisoner who he believes is an evil witch who can turn him to stone with one look and who is desperate to destroy his land. Why? Because he has a vision that indicates she is not what she seems. He has no history of visions or anything around him to indicate that it might be real, however, he instantly sets about trying to rescue her. The explanation given for this is that he is 'reckless', but even then, given the information he was raised with about this prisoner, I would have found it more convincing if he at least took a day or two to think about it. Accepting the vision as instantaneously as he does seems to be a bit of a stretch.
This stretch is a theme that is repeated numerous times in the book, with a couple of character about-faces that were a bit too fast to be believed. The explanation for one is given as magic. Many things in this novel were explained away as magic. Normally, I wouldn't have a problem with this, as in worlds where there is magic it is used in this way, but the way it was employed here seemed to be as a convenient plot device to get the protagonists out of trouble, rather than feeling like an organic part of the storyline.
The climax also felt a bit piecemeal, not to mention the frequent long scenes of exposition as the plot was explained. There were also plot points that I felt weren't given sufficient explanation, so the resolution didn't feel satisfying to me.
However, it was still a nice, fun romp and had some interesting developments along the theme of forgiveness, mercy and restoration.