LynneStringer

My Journey in Writing

SPOILER ALERT!
By Melanie Dickerson The Princess Spy [Paperback] - Melanie Dickerson

***spoiler alert***I found The Princess Spy very enjoyable. The characters were likeable and not necessarily ones that were instantly predictable. Margaretha, the female protagonist, comes across as a bit of an airhead, but proves that she is more than meets the eye. I liked Colin as well, the male protagonist, although he was a bit more run-of-the-mill male hero material, although still likeable.
The story moved along well and I liked the villain; he was suitably slimy. The story wasn't always predictable either, which was another good thing and I enjoyed going where it led me.
There was only one section that I felt was illogical. That was when they went back to the castle to overthrow Lord Canterbury and Margaretha's father allows her to come as long as she stays at the back with Colin! Given that Canterbury has been trying to catch her to force her to marry him or kill her if she refuses, the idea of letting her go when she's already narrowly escaped him twice seems a bit unlikely. I can't imagine someone like Duke Willhelm agreeing to something that put his daughter in that kind of danger and as soon as he agreed to it I had the same feeling many people get when someone heads down a dark and gloomy corridor by themselves in a horror movie. You know something's going to happen.
But apart from that I found it entertaining.