LynneStringer

My Journey in Writing

The Gifted - Matthew Dickerson

Matthew Dickerson's world, as featured in The Gifted, is involved and intricate and it's clear a lot of work has gone into creating it. I enjoyed reading about Elynna and her band and the troubles they faced in defeating the evil in their world ... or trying to, anyway. I liked that the protagonists were not the usual cardboard cutouts that can be seen in books like this, but were real characters with clear faults, and traits that sometimes make me frustrated with them, which, of course, made them more realistic.
The main downfall of the book, from my point of view, was the excessive detail. I appreciate world-building and I know it's necessary in a book like this, but the level of detail that was featured slowed the pace of the story constantly. I loved learning about the world of Gondisle, but I think sometimes all that information weighed the story down more than it buoyed it.
I did enjoy seeing the way the story went, though, and I'd be interested in reading a sequel when it's out.