LynneStringer

My Journey in Writing

SPOILER ALERT!
Where the Stars Still Shine - Trish Doller

**spoiler alert** I found this story generally well written and engaging. The only thing that spoiled it for me was the inclusion of sex and profanity.
For the most part, I was interested in Callie's story and seeing how it turned out. Callie, who has been living with her mother for years under the mistaken belief that they had no one else, discovers that her mother kidnapped her years before, taking her away from her loving father and his large Greek family. When the police catch up to them, Callie is understandably cautious with her remarried father’s new family at first, but goes on a voyage of discovery, both for herself and her mother (who is diagnosed with a personality disorder).
These issues are dealt with sensitively by the author and in what I felt was a realistic way. While I grew frustrated with things like Callie's constant defending of her mother by lying and covering up for her, I felt that it was likely she would have responded that way, given that it had only been the two of them for so long.
The only thing that spoiled it for me was the profanity and sex. Again, I understand why Callie would think that every guy wants sex, given her mother's behaviour, and that she definitely would be the type who'd seen that kind of action, but I was disappointed that her serious love interest in the story was the kind of man who'd sleep with a girl at first sight (as he does with Callie) without even knowing who she is. This, and a couple of other scenes paint him as a player, and yet it seems we're meant to believe in the reality of their love. I found it difficult to swallow and didn't like Alex at all. I preferred the scenes when he wasn't around. Even the situation with his mother didn't gain him much sympathy from me although I was pleased that plotline was resolved the way it was.