LynneStringer

My Journey in Writing

Five Children on the Western Front - Kate Saunders

I can remember trying to read <i>Five Children and It</i> when I was about ten or so. It didn't engage me, so I quickly gave up, moving on to other books.
When I first started reading this book, which is a sequel to the popular classic, I had a similar reaction. I was about a third of the way through it before it really started to engage me.
The style throughout is reminiscent of another series I read, with the language and behaviour of the children bringing back memories of the Famous Five books I loved as a child. It's very early 20th century English, with lots of words like 'rather' and 'good-oh'.
I think the book is primarily written for the Famous Five age group, although some of the topics dealt with are serious ones. It does, after all, take place during World War I, and a couple of the main characters go and fight, and yes, there is tragedy involved, so it may be upsetting for some young readers, even though there is nothing graphic in it.
One thing in the book I really didn't like, and that was the Psammead, the little sand fairy that was the 'It' of the original book. I don't know whether it's a carry over from that novel or not, but the creature is, in all honesty, just plain annoying. The majority of the book is just him moaning and complaining all the time as he is taken to other times and place so he can learn he needs to feel sorry for certain things he has done in his life (this is the heart of the story).
While he does make some progress in this area, it's a long time coming and he whines a bit too much for my liking. I got the feeling his behaviour was meant to be funny but I found I was too frequently tempted to 'box his ears', to borrow another phrase from my Famous Five days, and that made the read less enjoyable for me.