LynneStringer

My Journey in Writing

SPOILER ALERT!
Dragon Kiss - E.D. Baker

I haven't read books one to six in this series, and I think it might have helped if I had, although I was still able to understand where the book was heading story-wise. I enjoyed following Audun's quest, as he performed tasks for the dragon king in exchange for being taught how to turn into a human, so he can win over the family of his human girlfriend, Millie, who can turn into a dragon.
Audun was an endearing dragon, and I was drawn into his story and enjoyed seeing him overcome obstacles so that he could win Millie's hand. However, at that point things became a little muddled. There is much talk about wars between nations during the book, but it seems that the author skipped what seemed to be a major skirmish. Audun is involved in helping a rightful king escape from the clutches of his evil brother, but in the following chapter, he is on his way to see Millie, and refers in his thoughts to a battle between the kingdoms that has already taken place. It's clear he took part in it, and I would have considered it a major part of the story, but it's only mentioned in passing a couple of times. Considering how much this conflict was featured in the book, it was surprising and jarring not to experience this part of the story with Audun.
Not only that, the moment he finds Millie, rather than race into his arms, she accuses him of hiding his ability to change into a human from her and refuses to speak to him for days! Considering how their love is the basis for the quest that is the premise for this book, her casual dismissal of him at this point seemed odd, especially since, in her first read conversation where she actually listens to Audun, she immediately does a back flip and believes him. Why include her disbelief at all if so little was done with it? It seemed pointless and only made Millie look flighty and made it difficult for me to see anything special in their love, which was a let-down after reading a book which was driven by it.
I also found the climatic final fight of the book uninteresting. It didn't really work for me. So the last few chapters were not ones I enjoyed.
But it is a good story with dragons, witches, wizards, ghosts and spells, which children in the primary school age group will probably enjoy.