LynneStringer

My Journey in Writing

The Time Baroness: Book One of the Time Mistress Series - Georgina Young-Ellis

The Time Baroness was an interesting book to me because it combined three of my favourite genres - science fiction, historical fiction and romance. I enjoyed reading about Cassandra and her travel back in time to experience life in Jane Austen's England. She isn't expecting to fall in love, but she does, and although the relationship is one Miss Austen herself wouldn't have approved of, there were only a couple of scenes that detailed sexual encounters, so there wasn't too much of it (I prefer fade-to-black).
There was one particular thing about the story that really interested me. While there are many people who fantasize about returning to Austen's England, Cassandra finds it unbelievably dull and restrictive, especially when it comes to class distinctions, correct behaviours and making sure you don't upset anyone. She is far too modern in her ideas to fit in completely, so some of the locals are suspicious of her.
There were a couple of elements in the story that I didn't like. For example, if people in the future have developed the ability to travel in time (especially since it's a recent development in Cassandra's time), are they really going use it to indulge someone in going back to do nothing more than experience Victorian England? This seemed a little bit of a stretch. Also, Cassandra enters into a serious relationship while always knowing she intends to leave when the allotted time for her stay is up. While affairs of the heart will often make us do things we wouldn't otherwise do, since this is in her mind all the time (especially when you consider how many lies she has to tell to keep the truth from being discovered), it gives a false note to the relationship, and made it difficult for me to warm to her character.
However, the journey was still enjoyable and well written, apart from a bit of 'telling' rather than 'showing'. It certainly held my interest and I may well seek out other books in this series.