LynneStringer

My Journey in Writing

SPOILER ALERT!
Down a Lost Road - J. Leigh Bralick

The first half of this book moved along brilliantly. I enjoyed the world, and I liked Merelin herself. Yatol was particularly intriguing and the story seemed more alive when he was in a scene. Their travels were enjoyable and intriguing. However, the second half of the book dragged a bit, with a lot of travelling and then meeting new people, arguing with them, and fighting with the Ungulion, which happened over and over again. I think if this happened a couple of times fewer than it did, the book would have been a lot tighter and the pace would have stayed steady. Instead it dragged a bit.
Also,(and here's the spoiler-y bit) if the Ungulion where really seeking the Pyelthan, why didn't they search their prisoners for it? Merelin's got it on her several times when they have her captive, and they don't search any of them to see if it's there.
It was still great world to inhabit, though.