LynneStringer

My Journey in Writing

Mystery Rider (Horses and Friends) - Miralee Ferrell

This book doesn't deviate much from the pattern established in the previous books. It continues the story of Kate, Tori and Colt, now adding Melissa to their group, although Melissa is a bit difficult for Kate to deal with sometimes.
In this book, the four of them decide to participate in a parade to advertise Kate’s barn, and also try to find the identity of a mystery woman riding a beautiful black horse.
The action is predictable and perhaps a bit preachy at times. Even when Kate misbehaves, she quickly repents and does the right thing. It's probably not a bad thing in a novel for this age group, but as with the first book, I felt they were a little bit too nice to be realistic at times. Melissa is the exception, although even her behaviour is now mild compared with what it was. Considering the company she's keeping, it's probably not surprising, and there were some good moments of uncertainty on her part, as she feels left out of what the others are doing, not to mention that Kate sometimes still feels jealous, but these things are usually quickly overcome so the story can be concluded on a positive note.