LynneStringer

My Journey in Writing

SPOILER ALERT!
Miles from Nowhere - Amy Clipston

I found this book incredibly frustrating. While I started out liking Chelsea as a character, she quickly proved to be so easily swayed by a cute boy I found it difficult to think her anything other than flighty. While I understand that temptation can prove too much for anyone if the circumstances are right, she gave in so regularly, and even when her life was in tatters and the temptation was no greater than it had been previously, she still went along with it.
In fact, when she gives in at the end of the book, I couldn't understand why. Everything was ruined and she'd already realised that Dylan wasn't as good as Todd. She also knows she has to finish the costumes she's doing for this summer production, something that she's passionate about and that is necessary for her future career, and still, all Dylan has to do is pressure her a tiny bit and she caves. Then she insists he drive her home while he's drunk.
All these poor decisions didn't endear to to me as a character. I could have bought it more if the temptations were brought in more gradually and if they increased over time, but the way it was, it made it difficult for me to think she was ever dependable at all, which is what it's clear we're meant to think in the beginning.