LynneStringer

My Journey in Writing

The Naked Room - Diana Hockley

This is the first book I've read all year that I've enjoyed reading. It's not my usual genre - I'm not normally one for crime/thrillers - but there's no doubt it was an enjoyable, well-paced read that kept drawing me back to its pages. A couple of the relationship scenes were a little more explicit than I like, as were some terrifying moments in the life of the protagonist, Ally, whose ultimate fate I was desperate to discover.
Ms Hockley includes points of view from a number of prominent characters, writing them in first person and designating a full chapter (usually) to the character, who is identified on the opening page of each chapter. I've seen this done before and usually it fails abysmally. However, in this case, I felt it worked. It certainly didn't detract from my interest in the story.
I might not be the best person to recommend a crime/thriller, but if you like that kind of book, give it a try.