LynneStringer

My Journey in Writing

Talon (The Astor Chronicles Book 1) - Amanda Greenslade

Talon is an in-depth fantasy set in a land where numerous different people groups exist side by side, sometimes peacefully, sometimes not. Chief amongst these groups are the Jarians, who along with some of their close neighbours, follow a religion that is under threat from the demonic power of the Zeikas, a race that is trying to take over this world.
The story follows the adventures of Talon, who is a Jarian and has recently found a Rada-kin (that is, an animal with whom he can have a sentient friendship and whose thoughts he can read). She is an icetiger named Rekala. This development means Talon has become a Rada, and he quickly also become an Anzaii, which gives him additional powers and responsibilities, including becoming the ambassador of the Jarian people. Teaming up with Sarlice, the ambassador from Lyth, and her firetiger Rada-kin, they journey to Telby to try and get the king's help in their fight with the Zeikas.
Talon is a book with lots of detail and world-building. If you like that sort of thing, I recommend it. However, if you prefer your stories to move at a rapid pace, this might not be the book for you. It does keep moving, though. Sometimes I found it difficult to follow, especially when Talon is communicating with his kin in his head, which means he can also communicate with a lot of other people and animals. This could easily be confusing for some, and has the potential to be a difficulty in future novels, as Talon's ability looks likely to increase. However, to Amanda Greenslade's credit, I managed to keep up with it, so hopefully she will be skilled enough to make it work in the future.
So if you like your books with loads of world-building and intricate, and at times, conflicting relationships between races, you'll probably really enjoy this one!