LynneStringer

My Journey in Writing

Shades of Milk and Honey

Shades of Milk and Honey - Mary Robinette Kowal I enjoyed Shades of Milk and Honey. I appreciated that Ms Kowal was trying to write in a similar vein to Jane Austen and, as far as I'm concerned, she pulled it off very well. Unfortunately, I felt some of the characters had a touch too much similarity to Austen's work. I was regularly reminded of them, the style only making the similarities stand out even more.
I enjoyed the fantasy aspects of the book and I liked the fact that it was simply an accepted part of the culture, although I would have like a more lengthy explanation of exactly what they did, how they did it and how they learned it.
I thought the climax was a bit muddled and I'm still not sure of some aspects of it, and I found the romance angle underdone, although I understand that, in a book set in an era similar to Jane Austen's, it couldn't have gone much further. Still, more contact between the female protagonist, Jane, and the man who she discovered she loved would have been appreciated. Their relationship was underdrawn, as far as I'm concerned.
The story was tame most of the time, but again, Jane Austen's stories don't venture beyond the ins and outs of familial relationships in her world either, so that wasn't a huge problem for me. And I'm interested enough in the world that I think I will have a look at the sequel to see where the story goes.