LynneStringer

My Journey in Writing

Scarlett

Scarlett - Alexandra Ripley While it was nice to read what could have happened in the continuing story of Scarlett and Rhett, and I liked scenes set in Ireland, there was a sense throughout that Alexandra Ripley was trying to tread the safe ground too much. This was especially so when it came to the introduction of characters who were almost carbon copies of Scarlett's mother and Melanie Wilkes. I felt it would have been better if Ms Ripley had developed unique characters, instead of borrowing so much. However, considering how difficult it would be for any book to be accepted as a sequel to Gone with the Wind when it wasn't written by Margaret Mitchell, I think she did okay.