LynneStringer

My Journey in Writing

Beyond the Fortuneteller's Tent

Beyond the Fortuneteller's Tent - Kristy Tate I found this story both fascinating and frustrating. I enjoyed the premise and liked the characters. They were intriguing, particularly Emory. However, the delivery of the story was inconsistent. It seemed to jolt with difficulty between being light-hearted and dealing with serious issues. Additionally, sometimes the storyline jolted between scenes. There were characters too, like Marshall, who seemed to show up only to force the plot to its next point with no clear story-related reason for it. Perhaps subsequent stories in this series will reveal that there is a reason for that, but I found it difficult to accept without at least an allusion to that possibility. Also, although I'm far from an expert, I'm not sure about the historical accuracy. For example, drinking tea is mentioned, even though most of the story is set in the early sixteen hundreds and tea didn't reach England until about 1650. Perhaps the author meant some different kind of leafy brew, but still ... There were some noticeable spelling mistakes too.