LynneStringer

My Journey in Writing

Planesrunner

Planesrunner - Ian McDonald Planesrunner is an enjoyable story about a boy searching for his father in a parallel universe. The story is engaging and is well plotted, however, I found there was way too much detail in it all, resulting in a pace that tended to plod at times. Some of the touches were good, like Everett calling the police officer LeahLeonaLeanne (who remembers names when you've heard them once?) but at times it felt like a good edit would have helped it immensely.
I'm assuming the insertion of numerous sci-fi quotes, particularly from Star Trek ('make it so', 'I canna give you any more power', etc), was deliberate, presumably as some kind of homage to other popular sci-fi phenomena. However, I felt it gave the story a less original edge and it didn't need that kind of help. It was able to stand on its own two feet, and I think it should have done so.
It is an enjoyable story, though. I just wish it was a bit tighter.