LynneStringer

My Journey in Writing

The Green Hills of Home

The Green Hills of Home - Emma Bennet I struggled when trying to work out what to rate this book. It is a nice enough story, although very predictable and cliched, not that that's necessarily a problem for a light, romantic story. It's not unusual or unpleasant for them to be predictable.

However, there were a lot of issues in the writing style. The narration dodged between different points of view quite a bit. While I have read worse, I thought it was a bit much when we got the dog's point of view! :-) Also, there was a heavy reliance on 'telling' the story rather than 'showing' it, which made the story more tedious. I felt that it would have been so much better if we were involved in the story by experiencing it in the moment more.

I also found John's character inconsistent. He was gruff and unpleasant for most of the book, then suddenly he seemed to thaw out and become very talkative. I felt a more gradual change would have been better and would have suited his character more (as I understood it, anyway).

Still, if you're looking for a light, feel good book, you may like it.