LynneStringer

My Journey in Writing

A Necessary Deception

A Necessary Deception - Laurie Alice Eakes I found this novel extremely frustrating. The resolution raised quite a few plot holes. Why did Lang introduce Christien into society at all? No idea, especially given how everything played out. I won't go into the others for fear of giving too much away for those who haven't read the book.
I also disliked how the author frequently ended a chapter with a cliffhanger (usually in the middle of a conversation) then started the next chapter weeks after the event and barely even alluded to what was said, except usually in a vague way by the end of the chapter ... maybe.
Also, the story seemed to jump about between the plot against the English, the story of the Bainbridge girls, and Lydia's own feelings, both for the men in her life and for God. The step between each of these plotlines was usually disjointed.
By the end, I was only reading it to see how it played out, and was disappointed with how dissatisfying the resolution was.