LynneStringer

My Journey in Writing

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix - J.K. Rowling, Mary GrandPré I've given this book three stars because the resolution was a good one but, if I'd been basing my opinion on the first half of the book, it would have only received two.

Although the premise of the Harry Potter series is an enjoyable one, it does tend to be repetitive. This book brought it home to me more than the previous four. However, I couldn't help but notice how much similarity The Order of the Phoenix had with all four previous books, especially in the first half.

1. Harry is with the Dursleys, who mistreat him.
2. While he is there something magical happens, performed either by him or someone else, that means he has to leave early, then he goes to Hogwarts.
3. Upon his arrival, something strange happens or people think there's something strange about Harry, and become suspicious of him.
4. He is teased and abused by other students/teachers, usually being unjustly punished more than once, with the perpetrators rarely brought to justice.
5. He then finds out what is going on that is causing the problem and sets out to fight the evil himself.
6. He resolves it.

While the resolution and underlying story does vary and is usually entertaining, after five books, I'm getting tired of points 1 - 4, particularly as they are usually told in so much detail. This book was interminable, with huge passages describing things very similar to those in the previous books. I think it was in need of a drastic edit. Also, as usual, it ends with a large scene of exposition. This was necessary, of course, especially since the plot is so convoluted.

There is no doubt that JK Rowling is an enormously talented writer, I just wish she wouldn't see the need to cover old ground in such detail.