LynneStringer

My Journey in Writing

Shirley

Shirley - Charlotte Brontë, Lucasta Miller, Jessica Cox I found Shirley to be an odd book, mainly because Shirley isn't even introduced for quite a few chapters. While it was still enjoyable, I could almost sense Charlotte's struggles as she tried to change her writing to please the critics who hadn't enjoyed Jane Eyre. It was also likely that her emotional state played a part in this, since all three of her remaining siblings died around the time of writing.
Still, any book by a Bronte deserves a look. No one can deny the talent that all three sisters shared.