LynneStringer

My Journey in Writing

Villette

Villette - A.S. Byatt, Charlotte Brontë, Ignes Sodre I had some real problems with Villette, and not just because I didn't like the ending. For a start, I felt it was a little on the long side. A good edit probably wouldn't have gone astray. It certainly gave it a ponderous feeling.
Also, Charlotte Bronte didn't always seem sure of where she wanted to go with it. For a while, it seems Lucy would fall for John Graham Bretton, but then turns her attention to M Emmanuel, which I felt was a disjointed jump.
It's clear much of the novel is autobiographical, which probably accounts for some of these peculiarities. After all, real life doesn't got along smoothly and often jumps disjointedly all over the place, but it doesn't make for a good novel or for easy reading.
The book was still enjoyable, but most of the time I found I was wishing it would go in one direction, but when it did move, it was not clear where it was going, and usually ended up somewhere completely different.