LynneStringer

My Journey in Writing

Rebecca (VMC)

Rebecca -  Daphne du Maurier, Sally Beauman I saw the 1940 movie before I read the book, and was a little bemused at how implausible was its late plot development. Then I read the book and discovered that they had changed it for the movie. Not surprising, considering the controversial nature of this development. Even today there is a sense of moral ambiguity. Do we support Maxim and his actions or not? This however, made the book more enjoyable to me, as I could not pigeon hole it as easily as I might have otherwise. Well worth reading.