LynneStringer

My Journey in Writing

Tess of the D'Ubervilles

Tess of the D'Ubervilles - Thomas Hardy While I understand that, culturally, Tess of the D'Ubervilles was probably an accurate rendering of life as a woman in these circumstances, I find it hard to rate this book any higher, as reading it was, in all honesty, a miserable experience. Tess is the only character who seemed likeable in any way and her life is so tragic it's difficult to come away from this book feeling pleased or enriched by the experience. Angel Clare, although initially an appealing character, is quickly revealed as nothing more than a pretentious hypocrite. The last few lines offer a vestige of hope for Tess' sister, but that's it. Not a book I enjoyed or would recommend.