LynneStringer

My Journey in Writing

Jane Eyre

Jane Eyre - Michael Mason, Charlotte Brontë This book was hugely influential in my reading and writing journey and it took my breath away when I first read it. I can't remember how many times I read it before I finally managed to stop, but it was quite a few.
Even though the book is called Jane Eyre and Jane is the central character, there's no doubt, as far as I'm concerned, that Mr Rochester was the key to the story. Even before he appears I could almost sense he was coming and that the story was building up to this monumental encounter with an ugly, bad-tempered man who was far more compelling and charismatic than I would have thought possible. He certainly changed my feelings about a leading man that was not good-looking although, as ever, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. It is a wonderful romance and highly recommended.